The Adopt-the-Rio de Flag Stewardship Program is a partnership between the Friends of the Rio de Flag and the City of Flagstaff Community Stewards Program. This program gives the Flagstaff community a chance to adopt nearby sections of the Rio de Flag Watershed. It combines learning opportunities through citizen science and stewardship to build awareness and stimulate the involvement of youth within the Flagstaff community.
WHAT IS STEWARDSHIP?
Stewardship is the act of taking responsibility over an areas protection and restoration.
- Trash cleanup, habitat restoration (varies), invasive weed management
Note: Stewards must receive permission before conducting any significant stewardship activities. These activities can include but are not limited to; tree removal, large debris removal, and changing the morphology of the adopted section.
WHO CAN ADOPT?
Flagstaff community members, schools, and organizations. Participants under 18 years of age must have an adult supervisor signup and be involved in their section of the Rio de Flag.
WHAT ARE THE PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS?
- 2 year commitment to adopted Rio section
- Perform a minimum of three cleanups or invasive species removal events each year
- Commit to contacting the Stream Stewards Coordinator for resources concerning the best practices and preparing for changes impacting the Rio de Flag
- Commitment to reporting community science and stewardship activities using the survey 123 app
WHAT IS COMMUNITY SCIENCE?
Community science is a method for gathering relevant, scientific data in which community members engage in data collection to inform land managers and researchers alike about a topic (in this case, the watershed). Community science projects might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Wildlife observation, vegetation mapping and monitoring, mapping wet/dry areas, Stream Team watershed assessment, invasive species removal sites, and riparian plant restoration areas
HOW TO SIGN UP TO ADOPT A SECTION OF THE RIO?
To adopt a section of the Rio de Flag, first visit the map of available sections for adoption. Blue stretches of the Rio are available for adoption, the purple stretches have been adopted. Once you are ready to adopt, go to our sign up page to register for your section of the Rio.
*Your adopted section of the Rio may take 1-3 days to show on the map after registering
If you are interested in participating in an individual cleanup of the Rio de Flag,